As CANO is a small brand, we could use the Brand Emissions Estimator (BEE) to estimate our carbon footprint. This is a tool developed by Climate Neutral estimates your company's carbon footprint based on your revenue and products by applying emission factors as identified in the Greenhouse Gas Protocol.
To make this estimation more accurate for CANO, we started gathering data about our company, production facilities and transportation partners.
Jessica, our project manager for the Climate Neutral process, asked everyone in the team to fill in a survey about their commute habits, and bugged everyone with specific questions about their department of the company. This included scope 1 (Direct Brand Emissions), scope 2 (Indirect Brand Emissions), and scope 3 (Supply Chain Emissions) in our supply chain, and consisted of things like:
- Utility bills, including gas and electric bills
- Fuel (gasoline, diesel, or propane) used directly in company cars etc.
- Purchase orders
- A list of capital equipment purchased
- Utility bills and fuel usage from contract manufacturers
- Shipping logs for upstream and downstream shipping
- Employee commuting data, including the number of employees and mode of transportation
- Business travel records
The BEE combined this company information with industry averages to estimate our carbon footprint for 2020, which was 77 tCO2e.
In the graph below, you can see how our estimation would be without the data we refined, compared to what it is using our actual company data.